Monday, July 7, 2008
While I'm waiting for Sarah to finish up her Spring Forward socks so that I can soak them both together for blocking, I thought I'd cast on for another pair of socks. I wound up a colorful skein of hand painted yarn that I received from a blog content and began casting on for Aquaphobia socks. Part way through the leg I was alarmed at how much yarn I was using and decided to check both the yardage of the yarn as well as the pattern. In the pattern notes, the author mentions using a skein of 395 yards and had plenty left over, however she only has a size 7 foot. I was immediately concerned since I have a size 9 foot. Upon rechecking the yardage of the yarn my concern really grew as it only contained 350 yards. My brain began spinning, thinking of ways that I could continue on with what was working out to be a cool pattern with this yarn without running out on the second foot. I decided to skip out on 5 repeats to make the leg a little shorter. But after completing the leg and the heal flap, I was still concerned. I started to wonder where I might be able to find some black sock yarn to do contrasting heals and toes to save on the colorful yarn. And then I remembered that I had some choral KnitPicks yarn that fell through from another project but should correspond nicely. KnitPicks to the rescue!!! So far, I'm diggin' the way it's coming out. I can't wait to get to the toe to see how it all turns out. I was hesitant at how the yarn was originally working out in the pattern because I didn't think the colors were me. But now I'm sold! I love it! I kind of wish I would have thought about it earlier and have done the cuff with the contrasting color too.