Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Week 2 swap questions

In many parts of the US and abroad, school's out. Take a walk down memory lane for Week Two's question: As a kid, what did you look forward to most about summer vacation/break/holiday?
Most people might say that being off of school would be the best childhood memory of the beginning of summer. Well, being a school teacher, I still have that feeling. Summer is for pursuing new things that are just for me. Exploring new areas and neighborhoods around me that I normally don't have time for, taking an interesting class, working around the house, having lunch with a friend at an outdoor cafe, and spending more time with family. As a child, we didn't travel very much but we camped a lot. My middle school summers were spent at the campground where my grandparents had a permanent site for their camping trailer. My high school summers were filled with working at a Girl Scout camp. I loved being outdoors and not having to shower every day. (I know, gross right? But nothing says freedom like not having to shower or at least not having to shower first thing in the morning.)

Living in Atlanta, I know Summer has truly 'arrived' when it begins to get humid. Blech. When I was a kid, I knew Summer was starting the easy way - School was out!! Share with us how you know that summer has truly 'arrived', or something that signifies the start of Summer in your world.
The start of summer is when the flip flops and sandals come out. My feet love to be out and about during the summer months (which explains why I have such difficulty keeping them clean during warmer weather). Even though I'm still working at school and the official summer break hasn't begun, I start getting that summer bug when I can flip off my shoes and work barefoot in my classroom while the kids are at their specials or after school. Another sure sign is when the classroom begins to smell like a locker room. The kids get so excited to be able to be outside in the nice weather again that they really go at it during recess. The smell of 24 sweaty children in one room in the afternoon is enough to knock your socks off if you haven't already given in to airing out the tootsies.

No comments: