Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Life's a Whirl Wind with a FO

Years ago when I first started knitting, a very wise knitting sen say gifted me the introduction to sock knitting along with two beautiful skeins of sock yarn in a jean colorway (since I would live in my jeans if I had the choice). She tried desperately to teach me the ways of the sock. After about a year of experimenting, knitting, frogging, re-knitting, tinking back, frogging again, and starting over, I had three socks from the yarn, none of which matched nor fit. It would appear that I was not destine to follow in my sen say's footsteps. Years have past now and I have since found my inner sock knitter and have proven my success with a few beautiful pairs (all that fit I might add!). When I came across Mission Possible 2008 I sorted through my stash and stumbled again upon a baggie containing three mismatched socks and some left over yarn. I decided right then and there to frog it all, re-cake it, and start again. I found a lovely pattern called Cornucopia and set forth on my 4th sock with this yarn. As the first sock began to form I settled on calling them "Life's a Whirl Wind" with all the swirling, spiraling stitches and the blue muddy colorway. A name that really seems to fit my life right now (not to mention the weather outside as I kitchnered the second toe). My life appears to have been frogged and it's now time for me to find a new more suitable pattern and begin knitting the strands of my life back into something that fits. Life's a Whirl Wind - you never know how things are going to turn out or how many tries it will take until you get it right.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

man--now i have to go queue another sock pattern :) Looks good and I hope you are adjusting (or at least sleeping) to the changes in your life. Take care.

sherriknits said...

I am always amazed at how knitting parallels our life. This is quite an analogy and I live the pattern that came out of it all!

sherriknits said...

ps even though I may live it, I also LOVE it. lol

dobarah said...

Those are beautiful socks...congratulations!

Blanche Knits in DC said...

Congrats on getting the socks done! YAY!! And as for the parallel of knitting to your life... it's TRUE!

Can't wait to for Pittsburg this weekend :)

Anonymous said...

Love the socks, but your metaphor is even better.

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip to the Mon this weekend and I know that everything happens for a reason -- those are beautiful socks -- think of what than means for you...